Prepare for your Sleep Study
- Make sure your hair is clean and dry before you arrive at the sleep center.
- Relax. A calm frame of mind will enable you to sleep well.
- Stick to your normal routine on the night of the study. This includes:
- Taking your medications (unless your doctor advises you not to)
- Regular food intake, avoiding caffeine
- Use hairspray or mousse on the day of the study. These could stop the sensors from working properly.
- Nap on the day of the study as this may impair your sleep at night.
- Wear nail polish.
- Consume caffeine the day of your study
- Arrive at the lab at 7:45 – Please arrive on time.
- Fill out forms – about 15 minutes
- Light bedtime snack
- Change into night clothes and get ready for bed – about 15 minutes
- Attachment of electrodes (“hookup procedure”) – about 45-60 minutes
- Bathroom, TV, Reading – about 15-45 minutes
- Bed time, Lights out scheduled at 10:00pm
- Lights on between 5:00-5:30am
- Taking off electrodes – about 15-20 minutes
- Wash up and start your day – about 15-20 minutes
- *Follow-up exam with referring physician 3-4 weeks after your studyv